Coolant lowOne of the most common car problems is a coolant low problem. How do you notice that you have a coolant low problem:
Coolant Low Problem
- Looking at the coolant level in the bottle during a regular check.
- The signal lamp on the dashboard turns on warning that the level of coolant is low. Also the temp.gage starts going off-scale while driving.
What to Do if You Have a Coolant Low Problem
- If your driving, it would be best to pull the car to the side of the road. This way you'll avoid any probable damage to the engine due to overheating.
- Check the coolant low -coolant high gage on the bottle. If the level is at coolant low, put some additional coolant in the bottle (it would be preferable that the coolant is the same as the one in the engine).
- Check around the engine space for possible leaks,look for moist spots. Take a careful look, water leaks are tricky, they can come from one place and show themselves on another.
How to Solve the Coolant Low Problem
- If your on the road, it's best that you add coolant (if it doesn't leak much) till you can get some help. If you don't have coolant, water is also OK. If you spot a loose tightener, try to tight it some more with a screwdriver. If you have a more serious problem (leaks on the water pump, badly damaged hose etc.) which causes a massive coolant loss, turn the car off and look for help. The cost of towing and repair is less than if you melt the engine down.
- If your at home and you want to try to fix it yourself, first thing you do is look for leaks. Look at the most likely places, like the connections from the engine block to the hoses, loose tighteners or a damaged hose. If you spot that the leak is coming from the water pump or that some parts are seriously damaged, go to a mechanic.
- If you don't see any leaks at all, try adding some coolant and check the level regularly over time. Make sure that the cap on the coolant bottle is tightly sealed.
If your car problems are becoming to numerous and frequent then click here to go to Carhut to purchase your next vehicle online.